Friday, March 19, 2010

Hoo-dote

Yesterday, I took the kids for a walk around downtown, going to the bank, the library, and our favorite local coffeeshop. We had a great time. The girls were in the double baby jogger, and Will was in the backpack.

As we were getting ready to go, I heard a cat (it sounded like a kitten) mewing. I could hear its collar tags or a bell, too. I kept checking for it because it sounded like it was under the car, but I couldn't find it.

When we got home maybe two hours later, I could still hear it. I checked the inside of the van first, then opened up the hood. There it was. A cute little black and white teenager kitten, sitting on my engine block.

The girls immediately lavished their love upon it, and then started playing in the yard. Everywhere they ran, the kitten raced after them. It stuck around until Lily came out; then it scurried back into my hood.

We put out some food for it last night, and this morning, I pulled it out from under my hood again. Later in the day, I gave it both milk and water (it enjoyed both), and then it took another nap, where else?, under the hood. This evening, we were all out in the backyard: Bob splitting firewood, the girls playing, Will taking it all in. I pulled the kitten out (I had never used my hood release before all of this. Now I'm a pro.), and he played with us, scampering behind the girls, or Bob, as they moved about.

Tonight, Lily needed to go out. I let her out, and Caroline said, "What just climbed the tree?" I thought she was talking about a vine or something, but then Bob came to me and said, "Did you see that?!"

Well, it was the cat. By the way, I asked Caroline if she wanted to give it a name. She decided it should be called Hoo-doh. Then later, I realized I'd missed the last consonant. It's actually Hoo-dote.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: HOO-DOTE!

No comments: