Thursday, May 21, 2009

Saving Money

We're constantly tweaking our budget these days, and in light of that, I bought the Sunday paper this past week, so I could clip coupons. I am totally becoming my mother.

Anyway, I ended up saving $34 off my grocery bill by buying what was on sale and using coupons. (My total bill was $120, so it would have been $154.) I think the best deal I got was on Diet Coke. Diet Coke is the bane of Bob's existence, so I didn't feel that he was appropriately congratulatory when I shared my savings, ... so I'll share it with you. I think Target charges about $4.85 for a 12-pack, which is outrageous, but fairly consistent with other stores. Meijer had it on sale for 2 24-packs for $11, so I planned to get two. And then when I got there, they were also advertising: buy 2 24-packs, get one 12-pack free. So instead of paying $.40 per can, I paid $.18 per can. Total savings: $13.25. I'm very pleased with myself.

And... inside the paper was an ad for subscribing. I ended up deciding to subscribe to weekend delivery (Fri, Sat, & Sun) for $6.30, which is just slightly more than I'd pay if I just bought the Sunday paper each week at the store, for $1.50 a pop.

I'm sure this is fascinating stuff for you all, but it excites me!

Ooh, and because I'm feeling very proud of this, I might as well also share that I found out this morning that I qualified for the "super-preferred non-tobacco user" rate for my new life insurance policy. I was really hoping to qualify, partly because it's cheaper, and partly because I guess I like validation that I'm in pretty good shape. I thought I was a goner when they weighed me and recorded my current weight (I swear they said they'd use my non-pregnant weight!), but I guess perhaps it didn't matter. So ... I'm in good shape, but if I die, I think I have appropriate coverage so my family won't be left high and dry. That feels good.

1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

Saving money...I think this is a sound reason to be like one's mother :)