Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I love my mom, and so I thought I'd do a short tribute to her today.

I love that my mom made a lot of sacrifices to send my sister and me to private schools because she thought it would be better for us (academically, spiritually, socially).

I love that my mom is the first person I call when I have some news. She (besides Bob) is just about the only person I like talking to on the phone. And we talk every day, sometimes more than once.

I love that of all the people in the world, the people I would most trust with my children are my parents. My mom might not do things exactly the way I would, but our goals and motives are the same.

I love that my mom is doing some things now that she's always wanted to do, like taking a yoga class. You go, Mom! And she recently acquired a cool bicycle, and she and Dad are having a blast exploring their town on bikes.

I love that my mom is proud of me. And I think of her whenever I hear the country song that goes, "I am Rosemary's granddaughter, the spitting image of my father, and when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan..." I'm pretty sure she is my biggest fan.

I love that my mom, who seemed surprised when we told her we were expecting our third child, recovered quickly with genuine excitement.

I love that my mom is able to find good deals anywhere. She is the only person with whom I would shop at Goodwill. Turn her loose in a big store, and she'll find the top-quality but bottom-dollar steals.

I love that my mom drops everything to be with me when I have babies every 18 months. Bob's scheduled to be out of town this fall for two weeks, within a week of my due date. I called Mom and said, "I need you!" And she said she'd be there.

I love that sometimes on the phone, we get tickled and just laugh and laugh, uncontrollably. And that Caroline will join in, even though she has no idea why we're laughing. What fun!


Mom, I love you. Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Radiant Readhead said...

omg, annie, this is a beautiful blog, it almost made me cry:-) as you can tell, i am reading to catch up on what you have been up to the past decade i have not seen you:) i loved your mother! she was and still is an amazing woman! some ofmy fondest memories as a child were @ your place...makeshift tents, GIANT chocolate chip cookies, the ENDLESS games of MASH!! next time you see her, give her a big hug for me and tell her i miss her....and you of course:)